Thursday, January 2, 2014

Starting 2014 off Right...



Happy New Year!

There - I said it...Now let's get this year going.

Personally, 2014 holds great promise as I transition from academics into my professional life. It has been a long time in coming, but I"m rather excited. As I look forward, it is easy to forget all that has gone on in 2013. As so many of you, I'd like to take the time to look back on all the Lord has blessed me with in the past year.

I was able to have my parents, grandparents, and brother and sister-n-law come and visit me in Switzerland. I got to spend time traveling with them and on my own. I was able to visit several new countries and return to previously visited ones. I was blessed with two internships while in Geneva and an amazing church community that contributed to my French skills and to my missing Geneva now that I"m gone. I moved back to Pennsylvania in September and then back to California via an 8 day solo drive across the country 2 days after I took my last final exam. I'm so thankful to now be in a rest period as I move toward a full time position with a relief or development organization, now that I have finally completed all my work for my Masters of Business Administration and my Masters of International Development.


But this year has  not been all fun and games. Getting through the work was more than a struggle at times, and my internships both had their times of trial. I can easily say that returning to Pennsylvania a week late for classes with no place to live, no car, an unset course schedule, and the expectation I would move my things from storage exactly 4 days after I landed, was one of the most stressful weeks of my life. (Yes, even more than finals weeks, moving abroad, etc.)

Anyway, enough of my year in review. To be honest, ringing in the New Year has never been a major event in my life. No big traditions and few parties. While I'm thankful for the turning of another year and the anticipation of all God will do with it, I find I'm much more thankful that I have a million more opportunities to make changes during any minute throughout the year. I find it entertaining, and slightly sad at times the way many people depend on the New Year to set new goals, higher standards (or lower) for themselves, change a behavior, build a relationship, etc.....what if we were doing that all year long?

I'm not trying to put down New Year's resolutions, I just find that I can never get into them because I find it is not about 'changing myself in the new year' it is about working on my attitude and heart issues long before and after the clock strikes midnight on December 31st.

I pray that this year will not be filled with unreasonable expectations, guilt, and doing things because we feel we are supposed to do them, rather, that our lives and hearts will be filled with grace at our own and others' mistakes, encouragement to challenge ourselves to do new things and grow from old way, fresh perspectives on the lives of people who are different than ourselves, and a passion for the path the Lord lays at our feet.

I do wish each of you a day and a week and a year filled with the Lord's blessings and wisdom and an ever growing heart with which to recognize and accept those blessings.

I'd be thrilled to hear highlights from your year and or set up a skype / coffee to catch up more now that I have a little time off. :)

Until Next time,
Jessica















3 comments:

  1. Good to read! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments, Jessica! God has so muc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry not sure how that happened. But it's exciting to think of what God has next for you. :)

    ReplyDelete