Saturday, September 1, 2012

And so it begins...

Tuesday morning (about 4am for me) I walked off the plane, which left an hour late but arrived an hour early, into the Geneva Airport, a very familiar environment. I waited for my bags to come. I stood well away from the baggage carriage with some deep insight that my bags would not be arriving then -- along with a satisfied secret joy that if that were indeed the case then I would not be the one carrying them again. :) Thus, when all bags had come out and the screens no longer displayed my flight, I headed to the lost baggage office with a smile on my face. Having had the blessing of my luggage being left behind in Montreal meant that it would be delivered to my apartment the next day and I would not have to trudge with it on trains and trams, over cobblestone and under steeple eves.

Climbing on the train brought back a flood of memories, but instead of visual pictures flashing in my mind it was waves of feelings and emotions. I realized that I had never thought of Switzerland as my home, or rather had never had a chance to make it my home. There was a familiarity, but not a sense of comfort. As I worked to interpret the feelings that washed over me, there were many good memories that came back as well. I was also reminded of the breath-taking views around Lake Geneva and the iconic l'eau (water) shooting up from the middle of it. My previous time in Switzerland was from October to July, so I had missed the end of the summer months. I have only spent enough time in Geneva to be acquainted with its layout without any intimate knowledge of the rhythm of the city. This will not be a difficult issue to over come while living here the next year.


It took some effort to establish which train stop I needed to get off at in order to locate my apartment building. I was going from memory of the map I had looked at before leaving the US since my technology was misbehaving. Though I had the street address, that did not help me in locating to which part of the city I needed to alight from the train. I had hoped to arrive at the apartment before 12:30 when the reception closed in order to leave some of my carry-on baggage there before seeking out the place I would actually be spending the night. However, in my relaxed manner of maneuvering the city, I arrived at 12:35, which of course by Swiss time, was a no go. This meant that if I wished to leave baggage, confirm my contract, and check-in about move in and the delivery of my baggage the next day, I would need to wait until the reception reopened at 2pm.....so I waited. 

And met my first friend. 

In my experience, it is when I am the most tired and least in the mood to take advantage of opportunities and adventures that they often come calling. Such was the case with my new friend, we shall call him Lee. Lee is a tall, smiley, fellow from Senegal. He was needing to get an adapter for his computer plug from the reception, thus we waited together. He arrived from Senegal earlier in the week and was putting out his CVs to work in Geneva. We spent the next hour conversing in French, English, and Spanish. Both teaching and enduring one another's minimal skills in the other's native language. :0 Language is but one tool for communication, there is so much more involved when interacting with another person and I love conversations were multiple tools must be used!  I rarely - if ever- regret taking advantage of an opportunity, no matter how tired I start out. This was no exception. 

Wednesday was a full day of dealing with assignments, school details, transportation cards, finances, and jet lag. Thursday and Friday I have been able to be lazy (more than I have in months) and try to catch my breath while staying with and catching up with a couple in a city just outside of Geneva called Nyon (pronounced Neeeeeeon). 

Our welcome room, I think I will be spending a lot of time here.

The first item I was given walking into IOMBA.


Tomorrow I move into my room and try to get settled before returning to Nyon for a get together with old friends. I'm so grateful for how the Lord is already providing for me. Easy movement and storage of luggage, new and old friends, places to sleep, a phone to use until I can use my own, and so much more. I'm eager to move forward and excited to continue this adventure called life with many of you at my side. Please, please, continue to update me on your lives as well. I do not wish to 'fall out of the loop'. 

Blessings to each reader --- new, old, or anything in 
between. 

A tute l'heur
(I need to work on my spelling, but that should be something like: 'until next time')

No comments:

Post a Comment